The introduction of the Authorised Economic Operator status resulted in Customs making a distinction between two categories of goods flows:
- goods from certified enterprises, and
- goods from non-certified enterprises
Customs offers specific facilities to certified enterprises.
The holder of an AEO certificate benefits from:
- fewer physical and document inspections
- priority when selected for an inspection
- inspections carried out at a specific address when the holder so requests
- no inspection of criteria inspected earlier when an application for a permit is submitted
Holders of a Security and Safety certificate or a combined Customs Simplifications/Security and Safety certificate also benefit from:
- advance notification of inspections
- the submission of fewer data in summary declarations
- recognition of the AEO security certificate by other countries (outside the EU)
Advance notification of Customs inspections
Have you been issued an AEO certificate and have you filed a summary declaration? If so, Customs will issue you advance notification of a Customs inspection of goods being brought into the EU. This is feasible when you have been issued one of the following certificates:
- an AEO Security and Safety certificate (AEO-S)
- a combined Customs Simplifications/Security and Safety certificate (AEO-F)
Does your enterprise not have an AEO certificate? If so, you will be issued the notification of a Customs inspection only once the goods are being unloaded.
Are you a handler (airside) or a stevedore (maritime) and have you been issued an AEO-S or AEO-F certificate? If so, you will also be issued notification of an intended Customs inspection.
The European Commission and a number of countries are working on plans for the mutual recognition of security and safety certificates.
In your AEO application, did you state that your details may be exchanged for the purpose of mutual recognition? In that case, you may qualify for facilities in case of export to third countries with which the EU has concluded agreements on mutual recognition. The EU has concluded agreements with:
- United States
Agreement with Japan
In your AEO application, did you state that your details may be exchanged for the purpose of mutual recognition of security and safety certificates? In that case, your details will automatically be exchanged with Japan.
Agreement with the United States
In your AEO application, did you state that your details may be exchanged for the purpose of mutual recognition of security and safety certificates? This is subject to very specific arrangements with the US. The document 'Frequently Asked Questions EU – US Mutual Recognition Decision' shows what companies have to do in order to benefit from mutual recognition.
The hyperlink takes you to the website of the European Union.
Provision of security
The Ministry of Finance has decided to reduce the security to be provided by enterprises that have been issued an AEO certificate. This increases the appeal of the AEO status to the Dutch business community.